Tuesday, October 25, 2005

These shoes were made for walkin'

Yesterday I caved and bought Vivian her first pair of shoes. Well, okay, that's not exactly true, we did have a few pairs that friends bought as gifts when she was first born. But these are the first pair of shoes that she may actually use for--yes, that's right--walking.



For the past week or so, Vivian has been standing on her own frequently. When I put her down, she stays in the upright position for awhile before plopping down to crawl. She stands from her position on the floor without pulling up on anything. And she takes one or two steps every now and then, when no one is watching her. Last night, all the planets aligned, and she took 10 or more steps on three different occasions. We even got it on video! (Which, sadly, I cannot figure out how to post here.)

So it seems that actual, true walking (as opposed to the fake walking we've been doing for a few months--i.e., one or two steps only under extreme duress) is much closer than I thought. Maybe only a week. Hooray! (Cheer with me, now you won't have to hear about it anymore either!)


In totally unrelated news, I had the following conversation with Isaac this morning:

Me, sitting at the computer ignoring (unsuccessfully) the two toddlers trying to climb into my lap: Just a minute, you two . . .

Vivian: UP! UP! UP!

Isaac, pushing Vivian aside and crawling into my lap: I want to see, Mommy.

Me: Oh, Isaac. Don't push your sister. Shhh, Viv, it's okay. . .

Isaac, touching my nose, then my eyes: What are you doing, Mommy?

Me: Sweetie, don't do that right now. Can you get down for a minute?

Isaac touches my breast, then starts pushing it, almost stroking it, repeatedly.

Me: Don't do that, Isaac.

Isaac: Why?

Me: Because . . . it's mine.

Isaac: No, they not yours, Mommy. Those are Daddy's.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: