Sunday, November 20, 2005

More meetings

Friday, Mieke emailed me out of the blue to see if I could meet her at the local beach playground. I've been trying to meet up with her for some time, but our schedules haven't allowed it. (I should really say her schedule, because who am I kidding that I have a schedule?) Isaac was in pre-school, and Vivian and I had the morning to ourselves, so off we went.

We had a great time, of course! Gabo is adorable, but strangely smaller than I expected. I don't know how to explain this--he looks (of course) exactly like the photos of him I see on her blog, but somehow I expected him to be bigger, or older. Maybe because many of her photos are close-ups? I don't know.

It was 85 degrees, but Gabo didn't want to take off his sweatshirt:
DSC02164

Mieke had a lot to say, which is just what I expected--and to be honest, kind of what I prefer. The less I have to say about myself the better! She wrote a post about our meeting last week (you know, when it happened) and commented that I was quieter than she expected. I was quiet that day--well, I'm quiet by nature--but especially that day. Not sure why, except it was really hot, there were many distractions, and I was feeling a bit fragile due to some hideous drama with Thing One and Thing Two which I cannot write about right now for fear flame will come out of my fingertips and set the computer afire.

Does that sound defensive? I don't mean to be. I know I'm quiet, and I'm fine with that. It's just that I didn't really feel like myself that day, and I'm not sure why.

Anyway, despite that, we had a really nice time. Mieke is as friendly and welcoming as can be, the weather was fabulous, I got to meet a friend of hers who she writes about frequently on her blog. Best of all: the moment when we realized the lifeguard was hitting on her!

She posted some much better photos, but here are a few of mine.

DSC02165


DSC02170

I'm sure we'll meet again, hopefully when I'm not feeling like such a stick in the mud.

No comments: